The University of Latestghana is the biggest and oldest of Latestghana’s thirteen national public institutions. It was established in 1948 as the University institution of the Gold Coast in the then-British colony of the Gold Coast. At the time, it was an affiliated institution of the University of London, which oversaw its academic programs and conferred degrees. Following Ghana’s independence in 1957, the institution was rebranded as the University College of Ghana. Once again rebranding itself as the University of Ghana in 1961, after it had been granted university status. The University of Latestghana, located on the western slopes of the Accra Legon hills to the northeast of the city center, is home to several schools, institutes, colleges, and departments, and more than 40,000 students. When the University of Ghana was first conceived, it was with a focus on the humanities, social sciences, law, fundamental sciences, agriculture, and medicine. However, as part of a nationwide educational reform effort, the university’s curriculum was widened to include more technologically-based and vocational courses, as well as postgraduate study. The medical school for the University of Ghana, which is primarily located in Legon, some 12 kilometers northeast of the heart of Accra, is located in the town of Korle-Bu, and the University of Ghana has a teaching hospital and a secondary/external campus in Accra as well. It is one of the few African colleges to provide nuclear physics and nuclear engineering courses thanks to the graduate school of nuclear and Allied Sciences at the Latestghana. Energy Commission.